Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Looking over my shoulder.

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries." - Unknown


For some reason I used to think that to be a quote of Mark Twain's. Blew a job interview once by citing it to a reference librarian who knew better.

I don't talk much about the day-to-day of my job here. My blog is a known quantity at work, and it's very much in my interest to follow Thumper's mother's advice and say nothing here if I can't say something nice. While that leaves me having to strike off juicy office gossip of my list of potential blog fodder, it also means that putting my foot in my mouth won't have consequences that could potentially affect my paycheck.

Which actually brings me to what I'm writing about today:

PHILADELPHIA - The city will close libraries and swimming pools, suspend planned tax reductions, cut more than 800 jobs and trim salaries for some administrators in order to weather "an economic storm" that could leave the city with a $1 billion shortfall, Mayor Michael Nutter said Thursday.


All together it's eleven of Philadelphia's fifty-four libraries set to close their doors, maybe for good. "My" library isn't part of the Philadelphia system, instead being in one of the surrounding counties. But it's the kind of sneeze that makes everyone wonder if we're about to catch a cold, if you get my meaning.

No comments: